OF MARRIAGE AND MALACHI MARTIN, MY MOST POPULAR POSTS OF 2021 IN REVIEW


During 2021 my blog garnered 485K hits. A year ago I had the goal of 500K, but that was ambitious considering that I had to take six weeks off in the height of summer to work on Padre Pio and You.  I'd like to thank all of you, my beloved readers, for making time to read my posts and for your prayers for me. These "healthy stats" and  that  you my regular readers are loyal to me gives hope that people will read my book on Padre Pio and this is your gift to me. 

The most popular posts by far were those that concerned two topics: marriage and Malachi Martin. The top post was, How Catherine of Siena Saved Her Father From The Fires of God's Justice, and Why Married People Suffer So Much in Purgatory. It tickled people's interest that it was revealed to St Catherine that those who marry primarily to satisfy their lusts will have to pay for it in Purgatory. The second most popular post concerned the revelation given St Gertrude that those who have lived holy marriages may attain some of the highest places in Heaven.  Many people were in touch to say they found this hugely encouraging, and I was very chuffed when Patrick O'Hearn of Tan Publishers shared it on his publishing house's Facebook page. 


Very closely behind these posts in popularity were the pieces I wrote about the late and great Father Malachi Martin. Here is my theory as to his own personal conversion, and I did a post on his deep revelations of the Third Secret of Fatima

Wow, I could never have imagined the response, both honoring his memory and striving to pour scorn on him. He still inspires a lot of jealousy and perhaps even more obsession in people. Love him like I do, or loathe him like his enemies, he had a huge role in bringing people to Traditional Catholicism. I do think there is potentially a big market for a biography of Malachi Martin that could untie the knots of many mysteries that make his life so hard to fathom. 


* * *

Classic painting, The Wedding of Romeo and Juliet was executed by Francesco Hayez (1791 - 1882). 

Comments

  1. Mary! I think you have found your next book topic! It certainly would be an interesting subject. I am actually part of a third group of people who are ambivalent about Father Martin. I have never read any of his books. Growing up, I associated him in my mind with what I considered sensationalist priests, such as Father Vincent Miceli and Father Andrew Greeley. Having never read anything by him, I can only say what Spock said to Captain Kirk, "Insufficient data, Captain."

    That being said, I have a neighbor who actually knew Father Martin. Since his death was relatively recent (1999), there will still be a plethora of surviving witnesses. I think a work would sell well due to the sensationalist aura that surrounds his memory. Such a work would also be an act of charity towards the dead as it would clear up many misconceptions surrounding his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear James,

      You are as perceptive as ever. I am discerning whether or not to do a book project on Malachi Martin. One boon is that a close friend of mine is a close friend of someone who was a key figure in Martin's publishing house. And I may well request to speak to your dear neighbor.

      Yes, that is such a lovely thought, that it would be a charity to the dead. Were you to begin reading Martin's books, I'd recommend you start with Hostage to the Devil, then Windswept House followed by The Key of This Blood. He was an extraordinarily talented writer and I ask his intercession.

      May you and yours be blessed always.

      Delete
    2. I would emphatically not recommend Hostage to the Devil" as a first book to read by Malachi Martin. I would start with the non-fiction "The Jesuits" which explains the hatred he inspired in and out of that order: He compiled this brilliant book solely from public sources which proves every allegation he makes. After that, I would continue with his barely disguised autobiographical novel "The Vatican" The names of many Cardinals are barely disguised; there is a list of who's who on the internet. It explains a lot about Vatican II, and also relations with the Soviet Union.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts