Padre Pio is confronted with a dead baby in a suitcase, and restores the babe to life



Padre Pio and Dr Sanguinetti deep in conversation

 Dr Sanguinetti was a medical doctor, a convert to Catholicism and one of Padre Pio’s most trusted friends.  And the good doctor was witness to an astonishing miracle where a dead baby was brought back to life.

A devout mother had a six month old baby who was in such poor health that he was near death. She decided to take a long, difficult train ride to Padre Pio. There was a risk in that the journey would be rough on her baby who would die by inches on the way, but so full of confidence was the mother in Padre Pio’s intercessory powers with God, that she set off for San Giovanni Rotondo.

When the mother arrived at the church, she was clutching a wicker suitcase and joined the line of ladies who were waiting for Padre Pio to hear their confession. Her baby was nowhere to be seen. She was in great distress and wailed loudly.  When it was her turn, she approached Padre Pio and opened the wicker suitcase, and confronted him with a dead baby swaddled in tattered old clothes. The baby had perished on the way to San Giovanni and in desolation, the mother had hidden the baby’s lifeless body in the suitcase, and pressed on, holding onto hope that Padre Pio would pray for a miracle. 

Now, here she was, holding out her deceased child to Padre Pio. Pio was cut to the heart.  He took the dead baby into his arms, lifted his eyes to heaven and prayed. Some moments later, he handed the baby back to his mummy, saying, “stop screaming, can’t you see your baby is only sleeping?” The mother gazed at her baby and saw that he was breathing without difficulty and was sleeping peacefully. She cried tears of joy.  

Dr Sanguinetti was watching the sequence of events, and later said that if the child had been alive when he was put in the wicker suitcase, that the little one would have definitely suffocated, so there was no question that the baby had been dead at the moment his mother presented him to Padre Pio. 

If you liked this post, you might also like, Writing About Padre Pio, how it influences real life

Comments

  1. Thanks for his post Mary. I just came across this blog that has Padre Pio's own words about the amazing power of the true Mass and of how he suffered with Jesus. http://infallible-catholic.blogspot.com/2012/05/padre-pio-on-holy-mass.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padre Pio must surely be one of the most extraordinary saints of recent times. I am just bowled over by this story Mary, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love you Padre Pio, I believe in You, Padre Pio-Please, Padre, Please, save My Family!! Help Me, Padre, Help Me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pray for mercy for the whole world St Padre Pio.....pray for us...Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing - may all Children who are suffering the world be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am proud to be a Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love St. Padre Pio stories. Please pray and wait for us.Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. St Padre Pio please I need a miracle in my life I'm confused please show your daughter the way she will follow. Intercede for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please Padre Pio , I'm one of your children, I'm Roxana, I'm catholic religion teacher, I have a very very hard try now, please put in your all children hearts the will to help me, I need you all now, please : roxidolha@yahoo.com, I need a lot of people !

    ReplyDelete
  10. St. PADRE PIO please pray for for my son who has liver cancer

    ReplyDelete
  11. St Padre Pio please pray for my son who has liver cancer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Padre Pio, please cure my brother of his cancer...I believe in your power to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Padre Pio please pray for me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Padre Pio- I love you , I believe in you, I have trust in you! Guide us with your hands of mercy, and ask ourLord to forgive us our sins. Pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Remarkable, thank you.
    Mary, I also read your blog about "Writing about Padre Pio..." and I'd like to encourage you to write about Padre Pio until the cows come home and shout it from the roof tops. Padre Pio surrendered himself to God through Jesus and The Blessed Mother, everything that came/comes through this great saint is Truth, not his personal views. In the 20th century, he was as close to having the word of God here on Earth.
    As to the abortion matter, Padre Pio's stance against it was not personal, as his sentiments has also been echoed by The Blessed Mother Herself. Abortion is Satan's work as is addling the minds of humans so they can no longer recognize truth. An unborn child is not the mother's body, although it is in her body. Once aborted, what was aborted? not the mother's body, she is still alive. No the unborn child is aborted, yes God's miracle of life murdered. Padre Pio's withholding absolution my seem harsh to the pampered generation of today but this is no small matter, he is trying to save souls. Abortion is harsh, it requires a harsh rebuke.

    I hope as you continue your fine work that you get the courage not to worry about what anyone else thinks and to write and speak the truth, what a blessing that will be for our world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. St. Padre Pio,please intercede for my daughter, she's so overwhelmed with problems, school, kids, finances and unemployed. Please pray for my grandson who is not doing well in one of his classes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Padre Pio please pray for all the intentions of Fr. Z and those who have posted their intentions especially G the suffering Marine also you can read them today please pray wonderful Saint. Deo Gratias

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful story and a very happy result
    Praise Jesus always
    And the great saint padro pio
    Amen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment