WHEN TERESA OF AVILA SENT ME A BUTTERFLY
Recently, I have felt myself at my wits end because a friend wants to make a dastardly business decision. For ages I have failed to talk him out of a scheme that would swallow up 3 years of energy and time for little profit. Forgive my doubt, O Lord, but I didn't think my prayers were being heard. Other people, too, have been less than kind in their reaction to his plan.
Then I was reminded to ask Teresa of Avila for help... When J & J and I went to Mass, on the way we were discussing Teresa of Avila's reform of the Carmelite Order in Spain during the 1500s. She certainly took her fellow nuns (and herself) to task for their poor choices. I have long-held that Teresa is the patron saint of clear-thinking. And I've needed her more than most.
I invited her help and thought no more about it, but after we left Mass and were winding our way through the maze of streets, we can upon a tiny garden and were met by a butterfly with scalloped wings of brown and cream, like yellow silk trimmed with brunette lace. She was bigger than a small bird. J & J and I could scarcely believe our eyes, it was like this majestic mariposa had come straight out of a fairytale. We searched online and discovered she was a swallowtail.
I had a strong interior sensation that this was St Teresa of Avila showing me her intercession, and sure enough when I looked up Interior Castle, I found that she was fond of using the butterfly motif for the spirit: "When it [the soul] is in this state of prayer, and quite dead to the world, it comes out a little white butterfly."
When I next talked to my friend who has had the unsound business idea, he showed certain disenchantment with his original plan.
In my experience, Teresa of Avila is an excellent intercessor for people making tough decisions, and I believe she intercedes from her throne in Heaven for people who may be making a bad choice so they get the grace of wise thinking, wherein they see the error, and reverse course. IF a butterfly crosses our paths after praying to Teresa perhaps we might make it known so they become increasingly synonymous as being her symbol.
Oh, and keep praying for my friend and his business deals.
![]()
The classic paintings were executed by Homer Winslow and Eduardo Balaca.




Comments
Post a Comment