MEL GIBSON MOURNS LOSS OF HIS OLD HOLY BOOKS

Braveheart | Rotten Tomatoes 

A mutual acquaintance of me and Mel Gibson told me that of all the exorbitantly possessions Mel Gibson lost in the 2025 Los Angeles fires, including a Malibu mansion worth 14 million, that which he grieved the most was the loss of his old antique holy books. 

This isn’t merely Gibson putting his piety on display for show. I can’t find anything online about him mourning such holy books. This is a genuine loss, even if you are not pious because these books are not rare, they are irreplaceable. 

The Old Book, c.1908 - c.1916 - William Merritt Chase - WikiArt.org

The fellow me and Gibson have in common is an Iranian Christian, and he and Gibson share a love of holy texts.

Probably the only thing me and Mel Gibson have in common, is this prioritization of these priceless manuscripts. When I lived through the 2025 fires, I had in my knapsack with the most valuable books that I needed for doing the citations for Padre Pio and You at the foot of my bed in my little shack. Some are on the verge of being antiques.

I wonder if the loss of such books - these vehicles to sanctification - explain why Gibson is again in hot water for making fun of a sign language interpreter at the Fan Expo in Canada.

***

The classic painting was executed by William Merritt Chase. 

Comments