NOT YOUR FATHER'S SEVEN STOREY MOUNTAIN...

...is the title of this most recent review of Drunks & Monks:

"Not sure why I purchased this book. It showed up on a list of recommended titles and I read one review which called it a modern day Seven Storey Mountian. Sounds interesting, thought I, especially since i had just finished re-reading SSM in august. So I took a chance. This is not Merton's conversion. Merton is a bit whiny about his life prior to conversion (to my mind) and, while moved by his conversion, I felt that he kept me at an intellectual arms length to his real heart but Mr. Carmichael lays it all bare, this reversion of his. His story is stunning, brave, emotional, dirty...and inspiring. So very, very inspiring. I read, or heard somewhere Mr. Carmichael say he could have been more intimate in his story, and it is hard to see how. As I said, it's all there. And while Merton does talk a bit about his rotting teeth, Mr. Carmichael shows us his rotting soul, and it's cleansing. This is an Augustinian story for our age...ok for the boomer age, but I will ask my children to read it because they will benefit from it. As for me, Mr. Carmichael showed me a path that I need to take...I need to get on my knees and pray, and confess and to love. Thank you John Carmichael. Thank you."

The author of the review is Francisco A. Lopez.  Of your goodness, offer a prayer for Francisco.



Comments

Popular Posts