A HARD PURGATORY FOR TRYING TO SEDUCE A NUN



In Italy of the 1600s, there was a Jesuit priest, Father Niccolo Zucchi who had awesome achievements to his name. This was the time of the Scientific Revolution and Father Zucchi was a polymath who made his best contribution to astronomy: he designed the curved glass that became the first reflecting telescope. When he was not studying the planets and observing the striped bands on Jupiter or the dark dune spots on Mars, he was a spiritual father to young people.  Father Zucchi was from a family of 8 children and all his siblings became priests and nuns. It was second nature to Zucchi to lead people into the nunnery or the seminary, and there came a time when he directed one young woman to join a convent. 

But before she entered, she had met a young man who fell madly in love with her. When she decided to become a nun, he hotly resented her decision to turn down his marriage proposal. The man was a noble and he and his family had quite a lot of clout. A deferential attitude was shown them and thus he was not easily brought to heel. When the young woman became a novice, the nobleman could not be restrained from sending her love letters and from sending her letters that scorned her vocation and attempted to break her will to be a bride of Christ and instead be his bride. 

Father Zucchi attempted to intervene and stop the nobleman from lobbying the young novice to be his love, but he was hellbent on trying to seduce her. Then Father Zucchi had a premonition that the nobleman was about to die and he cautioned him, "I assure you that before long you will appear before the tribunal of God, and it is high time for you to prepare yourself by sincere penance." The nobleman remained feckless in the face of this fatal warning. 

Father Zucchi's intuition came to pass, and the nobleman died suddenly only two weeks after their conversation. A while later, a strange figure in a heavy cloak came to the convent and requested a meeting with the young novice. She went to the parlor to meet her guest and found him pacing in a deliberate way around the room. This sight baffled her, and she asked, "Sir, who are you? And why did you send for me?" The cloaked man came near her and dramatically flung aside his cloak to reveal that he was the nobleman who had pursued her. He was trapped in chains of fire that fastened his neck, wrists, knees and ankles. "Pray for me!" he exclaimed and he vanished.

The nobleman had a hard Purgatory for having sought to steal a bride of Christ from her rightful vocation. He hadn't wanted God's will to be done, but he wanted his own will to reign in the life of the young nun. He had contempt for Christ in wanting Christ's bride to be his bride, and he plagued her with letters that sought to undermine her vocation and persuade her that she could do better with him than Christ. God is not mocked and the nobleman's arrogance was not expiated in this life, but the next.  



* * *

Painting of Elena Anguissola dressed as a nun executed by Sofonisba Anguisciola in 1551. 

Comments

  1. It's not about me; it is about those whom I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, so key to the Christian life.

      Delete
  2. This website appeared in my list of searches when I did a search for "St. Therese of Lisieux" and "Feast of the Holy Family." I am a permanent deacon and am preaching this coming Sunday, Dec. 26, on the Feast of the Holy Family, and I have a devotion to Sts. Teresa of Avila ant Therese of Lisieux. I only found the word "family" twice and nowhere did I find "Therese". Why did this link appear in my search? Did Our Lord lead me here for another reason? I already pray for the Holy Souls, but not as often as I should. Maybe I was led here to learn about the book you're writing about St. Pio. I've decided not to be afraid of him (his ability to read souls in confession scared me), since he died on my 18th birthday, 23 Sept 1968. I look forward to reading your book when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deacon Paul,

      I was astonished when I read your comment. Thank you so much! Today, at the same time when you left your comment and told me of your devotion to St Teresa of Avila, I was in a second hand furniture store ("vintage shop") with my husband, and we were looking for some pieces we really need for our place, when I found one and only one religious item in the shop. It was a framed lithograph of St Teresa of Avila, very old and very beautiful from Hungary. We bought it so as to hang on our walls and inspire our writing. But I must confess that I felt a despondency in praying to dear and droll St Teresa because previously she answered a prayer request of mine with a lot of suffering. That said, she has led me for some time: https://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.com/2017/11/what-is-your-memento-mori-it-need-not.html

      I think that half of the reason you were led here is to help me have a better devotion to St Teresa of Avila. Can it be merely coincidence that I purchased a large and lovely lithograph of her at the exact time you left you comment? I think the other half is that my meager writing will help you get to know Padre Pio better. Wow, amazing that your birthday is his feast day! I, too, am still...scared...of his ability to see souls and it has required huge efforts on my part to go his life story justice when I am actually so fearful of getting it wrong. My calling, however, to do the book has been stronger than my fear, praise God. Perhaps you are meant to be Pio's spiritual child. Your devotion to Teresa of Avila has already helped me, and may I be of similar help to you in cultivating your devotion to Pio.

      And the Little Flower! You may already know, but you may read in this post, that Pio hailed her as a great saint years before she was raised to the altars: https://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.com/2020/10/padre-pio-on-little-flower-she-is-saint.html

      You may like my post, My Mini Miracle of St Therese: https://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.com/2020/10/my-mini-miracle-of-st-therese.html

      I will pray for the sermon you are writing for December 26, and may I request your prayers for my book. I surely need them! God bless you and your devotion to Teresa and Therese.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts