I AM EXCEEDINGLY GRIEVED FOR HAVING OFFENDED THEE



O my God, I am exceedingly grieved for having offended thee and with my whole heart I repent of the sins I have committed. I hate and abhor them above every other evil, not only because by so sinning, I have lost heaven and deserved hell, but still more, because I have offended thee, O infinite Goodness who are worthy to be loved above all things. I most firmly resolve by the assistance of thy grace, never more to offend thee for the time to come and to avoid these occasions which might lead me into sin. Amen. 

* * *

This act of contrition was written by St Robert Bellarmine whose feast day falls on September 17th. Formerly, his feast day was May 13th.  This year on September 17th it will mark 400 years since St Robert's death in 1621. 

Comments