Pray for Eccles!

I have been asking many priests and bishops to read Eccles Is Saved, the blog run by the Catholic Church's resident satirist.  I send them links to his blog posts.  I keep meaning to ask Eccles how many hits he gets from Rome each day... 

One of the shepherds asked me if Eccles was 'a contender' for my affections. Ha, ha! The simple answer is no.  But it's time to 'fess up and blush 'till my cheeks go postbox red. When I first started reading Eccles' blog - I thought he was a witty (and single) young man. So, that explains the time that I joked on Twitter about throwing pebbles at his window.

 
Now, I realise that Eccles ain't available, and even if he was, his hands are full with Anti-Moly and Bosco.

Yesterday, courtesy of Twitter, I learned that Eccles is poorly and suffering a bout of ill health!  We must fly to his aid!

It's time to give back. We've enjoyed many a good laugh reading Eccles' blog, and now we can return the favour by praying for him in his hour of need.

I'm already sending lots of requests to Padre Pio, so I think I had better annoy, I mean, petition another saint.

Here's what I suggest. Everyone reading this post - say the prayer below to St Raphael.  It would be nice to have some tally, so please consider leaving a comment if you are praying to St Raphael for Eccles.  We are asking St Raphael's intervention on a health matter - which is perhaps the BEST reason to pray to the Archangel.  

St Raphael is 'the saint of happy meetings', and obviously is called on by singletons to help them source other singletons. I think, however, that we would be better to pray to St Raphael for our health and well-being.  St Raphael's name means 'medicine of God', and he's also one of the patron saints of doctors and medicine.   In the Book of Tobit, St Raphael saved the young Tobias's life, and later he healed Tobit of his blindness, and having had his sight restored, Tobit had the use of his eyes again. 

Prayer to St Raphael for Healing
Glorious Archangel St Raphael, great prince of the heavenly court, you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace. You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, consoler of the afflecited and refuge of sinners. 

I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in all the sufferings of this life, as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels. Because you are the "medicine of God", I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmities of my soul and the ills that afflict my body.  I especially ask of you the favour (for Eccles) and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Spirit.  AMEN



Visiting the statue of St Raphael at San Juan Capistrano, California, USA.

Comments

  1. Prayers for Eccles to St Raphael at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sister Mary! Luckily, whatever it is, it is neither life-threatening nor particularly embarrassing, just rather painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are in pain. More prayers. You could do a post on this post on your blog, asking your readers to pray to St Raphael. This way you'd get more prayers, and if you give me a link, then I'd get more hits!

      Delete
  3. Done! Best wishes, Bruvver (and Sister!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for dear Eccles - where would we be without his daily musings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Madam,

    I think it quite inappropriate to ask prayers for Mr Eccles as he has obviously been struck down by God's righteous anger because he is a very rood and norty traddy satirist.

    Yours without any prayers, not even a Hail Mary,
    Ferdinand Mass-Trousers,
    ACTA Caliphate of Tunbridge Wells

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying. I hope he already recovered, thanks to so many prayers. I am late, having read your post only today.

    Glorreicher Erzengel, heiliger Raphael, erhabener Fürst des himmlischen Hofes, ausgezeichnet durch die Gaben der Weisheit und Gnade, Führer der Reisenden zu Wasser und zu Land, Tröster der Unglücklichen und Zuflucht der Sünder, ich bitte dich, stehe mir und besonders unserem Bruder ECCLES in allen Nöten und Drangsalen dieses Lebens gnädig bei, gleichwie du dem jungen Tobias auf seiner Reise zur Seite standest.

    Da du die Arznei Gottes bist, so flehe ich demütig zu dir: heile meine Seele von ihren zahlreichen Krankheiten, und meinen Leib von den Übeln, die ihn peinigen, wenn dies zu meinem Besten ist.

    Vergiss auch Mary O'Regan nicht, du kennst sie ja. Vergilt ihr alle ihre guten Werke reichlich.

    Besonders aber bitte ich dich für Bruder ECCLES, und auch für uns alle, um die englische Tugend der Reinheit, auf dass wir würdig werden, ein lebendiger Tempel des hl. Geistes zu sein. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining us in prayer. Also, thank you for adding me to the prayer, 'Vergiss auch Mary O'Regan nicht du kennst sie ja.' And for asking that I am rewarded. Thoughtful of you.

      BEST

      Mary

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts