MAY I INVITE YOU TO JOIN ME IN OFFERING A NOVENA TO THE HOLY SPIRIT, COMPOSED BY ST CATHERINE OF SIENA?


 A novena is a prayer that is said once a day for 9 days straight. You offer it 9 times - once a day for 9 days. I invite you to offer this prayer written by St Catherine of Siena to the Holy Spirit in preparation for Catherine's feast day which falls on April 29th. I celebrate her feast day on April 30th, too, which was her feast day in the Church calendar before the 1960s. 

When we pray this prayer written by Catherine, we unite our souls with hers, as she wrote it so she could pray it, and as we pray with her, we become one chorus supplicating the Holy Spirit. If we want our prayers answered as the great St Catherine had her prayers answered, we need pray like her. Through her words of love for the Holy Spirit, we see the inside of Catherine's tender heart. 

I also recommend that you ask for big prayer requests. Catherine was a wonder-worker, miracles waited on her word, and she worked prodigies beyond all understanding. If her prayer was answered in the height of fame which was the 1370s then they may be answered just as powerfully today.

Prayers have no sell-by-date, this one is over 600 years old, but just as "good" as it was when Catherine wrote it. 

April 29th is the anniversary of Catherine death - she died in 1380 at the age of 33. If we start the novena today, April 21st, we will finish on the 29th. 


Prayer of St Catherine of Siena

Holy Spirit, come into my heart;
draw it to Thee by Thy power, O my God,
and grant me charity with filial fear.
Preserve me, O beautiful Love, from every evil thought;
warm me, inflame me with Thy dear love,
and every pain will seem light to me.
My Father, my sweet Lord, help me in all my actions.
Jesus, love, Jesus, love. Amen.

St Catherine of Siena, author of this august prayer, pray for us!


* * *

Classic painting entitled St Catherine of Siena in Prayer executed by Cristofano Allori.

Comments

  1. I read the Sigrid Undset story of her life ... what a Saint. Thankyou for posting this prayer. Good luck writing your book, we are waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vincent,

      Thank you so much, Vincent. I have yet to read Sigrid Undset's book. I'm reading Raymond of Capua's biography of Catherine and I'm loving it.

      I'm delighted you will read Padre Pio and You. Still a lot of work to do, but please God I'll be able to say to the Padre that I did my best.

      May you and yours be blessed and rewarded.

      Delete
  2. Good Prayer and Dialogue is a great book in which she encounters with our Lord

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment