WHEN PADRE PIO PUT A SHAWL OF INCENSE AROUND ME

 


A very close friend of mine passed away and had always had a prayer request in his soul that he did not tell me outright but which he prayed for nonetheless - especially at Holy Mass. Some years after his passing, I was living in London and preparing for a luncheon with his family. I prayed to Padre Pio that the day would go well, actually that I'd be able to make all my train connections and then do my best by his loved ones when I was with them. I was getting ready to go out, when a shawl of incense came around me, but it was not incense of this world, it had no woody, smokey notes, rather it was a most pure myrrh. There was nothing in the vicinity that could have emitted the smell. But that day, I found out that his prayer request had been answered in full, not when he lived, but in the years after. 

Then recently, a friend of mine was exceedingly concerned about a relative of theirs and a particular issue they are having and they sat down to write me an old fashioned letter on crisp white paper with blue ink. They had previously told me nothing of their relative's exact difficulty - a sensitive matter that they thought was best put in a confidential letter.  But they felt like reaching out because they had already prayed so much and wanted support. 

They were about to send the letter the following Monday - the stamp was on. But over the weekend, I felt Pio's presence very strongly, telling me to pray for the relative and giving me details of their situation. I could not have made it up. Pio went further, he instructed me to contact this beautiful soul then and there and tell them that I knew what they wanted of me. I took out my laptop and sent off an email, assuring them that I was already praying for their relative and I also mentioned their needs. The minute that I did, a shawl of incense enveloped me.  When I next met my friend, they showed me the letter that was dated before I sent the email, and they were astounded as to how I could have known the person and the precise intention. I explained as to Pio's intervention and the incense. I assured them that incense accompanies an answered prayer, but that the person who prays will not see the result that quickly. Essentially, the slow burning incense represents that a grace will come, but that patience in prayer is required. 

They still gave me their letter. An actual document that pre-dates the email and is proof of sorts. This was a gift to me because it gave me much needed encouragement to finish my book on Padre Pio. Incense is one of the more unusual scents that is given to someone asking Pio's aid and many of his followers do not know of it. 

I can't count how many people I've known who have been greeted with the perfume of roses and violets which has signified Pio's intercession usually with a miraculous healing of the body or his urgent help. The blood weeping from his stigmata smelled of roses and violets and those of you who have inhaled this celestial bouquet are also smelling the wounds that graced Pio's hand, feet and side. I myself have never smelled roses or violets, but something that I document in my book is that I've smelled tobacco, cigar smoke, almond cake and once very strong vanilla and I give the meaning behind these fragrances; for one thing tobacco is danger - there is a warning in the whiff and that is certainly true of the situation that I was in when I was met with intensely aromatic tobacco. 

There are, I'm sure, more fragrances from Pio than I'm aware of, and in view of his feast day which approaches, I'm asking readers to get in touch with details of the perfumes that have been given to them as a sign and to share their discernment as to how they have interpreted the meaning behind the scent. If you've been given this gift, please feel free to share it with me and my readers. 

You may like a beautiful prayer written by Padre Pio where he asks the Lord, "Stay with me Lord, to show me Your will."

Comments

  1. Hello dear Mary...Your Shawl of Incense was a wonderful marvel.  It reminded me of my experience when I kissed Padre Pio's gloved hand briefly in 1966. This is how I described it in an article published in Catholic Digest, March, 1984; "My lips felt the mound of bandage beneath the glove and I smelled something aromatic or medicinal and clear, with a hint of the redolent.  I have never known how to describe it; I don't want to say 'sweet'.  It was not, could not have been the perfume so many describe, but the air I breathed, the very breath I took in that moment smelled clean and pure, and it seemed to pass through me and stay with me. I can still smell it. "      But those might be the very words and sensations people mean when they  say 'incense'. As time passed I did think of that word, and also lavender comes to mind. I must tell you that I dashed away immediately after kissing Padre Pio's hand, because I had been gently told that my skirt (fashionably at my knees) was too short and Padre Pio was not pleased with short skirts.  It was best I zip down and lower  the skirt, I was told -- which I did.  But I was nervous because of the situation, and  I've never forgotten the moment and the lost few seconds more that I missed because of the dash.     Some years later I had a dream -- only a dream but Padre Pio has been known to visit that way -- of Padre Pio at my bedside as I was waiting for sleep to come.  He held out his wounded hand -- uncovered -- for me to kiss.  He was looking at me and I was stunned in my dream that Padre Pio would come to me...ME???   It felt like a gift of the lost moment in San Giovanni Rotondo, when I could have lingered that hand-kiss.  In the dream I looked at his hand before I kissed it.  There was a light red glutinous covering over the hole. I don't remember smelling anything or feeling the touch as I did in SGR (gentle in my hand, soft, warm fingertips).   In the dream, just as I kissed  his hand the dream faded away, like a fade-out in the movies.  It had been a reconciliation with my memory and felt like one of Padre Pio's wise taps on the head, as if to awaken a fool...     I want to tell you of two other Pio scents...Not too long after we had returned from San Giovanni Rotondo, my mother walked into her bedroom to watch the 4th of July fireworks in Coney Island from her windowand she met a roomful of perfume.  It totally filled the room -- there was no escape.  The next day was her birthday and her diabetes symptoms abated, and later disappeared.  Mommy had a long devotion to Padre Pio long before our pilgrimage, and in fact, actually left a large photograph of him against a lamp, and asked him to watch over our apartment while we were on this pilgrimage.  Fr. Joseph Pius Martin, who cared for Padre Pio, had arranged our meeting with Pio and was watching our moment  closely from the sidelines.  Afterwards, he came to my mother excitedly saying  "Minnie, Padre Pio knew you.  He knew you." .    I'll leave you with the story of my Uncle Alfred, a World War II vet with a leg amputation.  Many years later he was very sick with hepatitis and turning yellow, and the doctor hospitalized him.  I was not present, but my mother and sister and aunt -- all Padre Pio devotees -- told me they were sitting around the bed and praying for hours.  Suddenly Alfred looked around as though alerted, and said,   "Who's wearing that perfume?" No one was, but  perfume filled the room.  The next day the hepatitis was also abated and then gone.         I am not credulous about every story I hear, or experience myself (quite a few perfumy whiffs out of nowhere which I just can't be sure about),  but not in the least am I a skeptic.  To  skeptic souls who believed Padre Pio's miracles were just a coincidence,  Padre Pio would wisely reply "And who is it who creates the coincidences?"  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a cradle born, practicing, believing Catholic. I love my faith, I participate frequently in the sacrament of confession and attend Mass and receive Holy Communion weekly - when I can during the week - love learning about the saints and have been blessed in so very many ways with the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Mother, St. Joseph and St. Therese of Lisieux. I have been praying to St. Padre Pio on and off over the years asking him to include me as one of his spiritual children but I don't feel he is hearing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on praying...he was known to test the sincerity of his those wishing to be one of his spiritual children, all out of his love of God, which he seeks only to draw his children too all the more earnestly. Be that beggar at the door and I'm confident he will not refuse you his aid. ;-D

      Delete
  3. I'm so touched. I too smell fragrances but have never felt that I was given a gift. Now I do. I've smelled smoke, woken to smoke in my bedroom and later discovered that someone in my family was in grave sin. Praying for my granddaughter during a very emotional breakdown she was having, I smelled roses so strong. It was at a reception for relics of Padre Pio and Pope John Paul II. She has since recovered and is a beautiful spiritual soul devoted to our Lord. There are other instances but now I will pay more attention. Our Lady gifted me with the smell of roses when praying for my family before her picture in the chapel at the San Juan Bautista mission. We continue to heal from years of living with my husband's drug and alcohol addictions. He is in recovery and lives a good life now. Padre Pio seems to come up when I need him, and I do right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a spiritual child of Padre Pio. I have loved him almost since I first learned of him a couple of decades ago. This past April I felt the need to go to the St Pio Center in Barto PA It is a beautiful place dedicated to the life of St Pio. When I arrived my wife and I sat on a bench to say the rosary. At that moment i smelled a wonderful scent like flowers. Yet there were no flowers anywhere to be seen. I believe St Pio was pleased I made the pilgrimage and gave me a gift. Viva Padre Pio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many years ago I was in my teenage years and I ordered a rosary from a Padre Pio shrine. I waited and waited and after what seemed like a lifetime,to an adolescent, it came in. When I unboxed the items I ordered I could smell roses coming from the rosary. I commented to my family, “this is so hokey, they sprayed this rosary with rose cologne to make it seem like it has Padre Pio’s odor of sanctity!”. My father said, “let me smell it”. When he did he said, “that doesn’t smell like roses it smells like violets”. Just then my grandmother asked, “what are you doing?”. My father asked her to smell it and she said, “yuck it smell of pure tobacco!”. A few minutes later my mother came home and I asked her to smell the rosary and she said it smell of a harsh cleaning agent! I had ordered a small book about the life of our Padre Pio and there was a section that stated that Padre Pio’s odor of sanctity manifested differ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see the entry below it has the ending to this story. I hit publish too soon. Always an opportunity for humility!

      Delete
  6. Am trying to confirm date this happened. It could well be a Padre Pio feast day. I was alone in Eucharistic Adoration. I smelled roses. My thought was that it was coming through the air conditioner as there were no roses in the chapel. When the AC cycled off, it stopped. I thought maybe the smell would return when the AC came back on. When it did, I was instead smelling saw dust, quickly followed by furniture polish. I looked up at the altar. On one side was a statue of Mary, and on the other, Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several years ago my friend and I went to a parish in New Orleans that were visited with the relics of Saint Padre Pio. After standing online outside and then inside the church we decided to kneel in the back and pray before we left. With my eyes closed I could hear someone walking down The aisle on my left side. It sounded like sandals flapping. Then I had the sense of Padre Pio walking into the Pew in front of us. He laid his hands on each of our heads and prayed for us. He then turned and drew my daughter Erin in close to us. I had been praying for her. She has been living a transgender lifestyle. I noticed that she looked very sleepy and compliant at that moment. He placed his hand upon her head and asked us to do the same. Then he faded away.
    When you spoke about the incense I realized again that healing takes time. I have a peace about her salvation yet I cannot see it yet. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a powerful experience of Padre Pio’s odor of sanctity when I was a teenager in the late 70’s. I ordered a rosary from a Padre Pio shrine and when it came it smelled strongly of roses to me. I complained that I thought they spayed it with rose cologne and I was unimpressed. My father asked to smell it and he said that it didn’t smell of roses but of violets. My grandmother asked us what we were doing and my father asked her to smell the rosary and she said it smell strongly of tobacco and said yuck! When my mother came in she smelled the rosary and said it smells of chemical like a strong cleaning agent. I had also ordered a small book on Padre Pio and it stated that the odor of sanctity was different for everyone. Some smell…roses, violets, tobacco and others carbolic acid. In one quick turn of events the good Padre had shared his gift with our family. Now, you might think that I would have kept that rosary as a rare relic. No, as a teenager who thinks things like this will always be around, I gave it to a lady whom I thought really needed it. Who knows? I lost track of the person whom I assume is dead by now. I do still have the memory and still love our dear Saint! Don Pio, prega per noi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Chapel here in Derry Ireland is currently on day 7 of a 9 Day Novena to the Great Padre Pio which stated on the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows & finishes on The Feast Day of Padre Pio this Friday the 23rd September, I have asked this Most Powerful Friend of Almighty God to help my Current Health Problem so hopefully I have good news to report back, will let you all know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am moved by the experiences shared about Padre Pio. I have been praying to Padre Pio from time to time and felt that he interceded on my behalf several times. Last night I experienced strong tobacco scent - it's not the first time I got this scent - nonetheless I recognized that such scent was evil, I implored the help of Blessed Mother, and all the Saints, including Padre. As I prayed the scent vanish, but returned and I continued to prayer. When the evil one did not get through to enter my body, I heard the sound of metal knocking together. At that time I knew that my prayers were answered . I am very grateful to Padre Pio for his help along with other Saints and Mother Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts