PRAYER FOR THE CANONIZATION OF LITTLE NELLIE

 O Jesus, Divine Friend of little children, we thank You for the signal graces you conferred on Your holy servant Little Nellie, by inspiring her with such great devotion to your Sacred Passion and such ardent love of the Blessed Eucharist.  Grant, we beseech You, O Lord the fulfillment of Your designs regarding your loving little servant, for Your greater glory and for the sanctification of souls.  We adore You, O Jesus, ever present in the Blessed Sacrament, we pray that Your Sacred Presence may be honored daily more and more, that the little ones whom you desire to come to You may frequently approach Your Holy Table.  Amen.

This prayer was given an imprimatur by Bishop T.A. O'Callaghan, who was the bishop of Cork when Nellie was alive, and who had an interesting history with her.  On the top of the original card on which was printed this prayer was a message from Pope Pius X, "May God enrich with every blessing all those who recommend frequent Communion to little boys and little girls, proposing Little Nellie as their model."

Pope Pius X was certainly discerning the possibility of opening a Cause for the canonization of Little Nellie, but the idea to put Nellie on the road to sainthood was relegated merely to being an item for discussion after Pius X died in 1914.  If we want to move beyond just talking and theorizing as to whether Nellie could ever be canonized, I suggest we pray the above that the cult of devotion to Nellie gather many more souls, that people invoke Nellie's intercession and that Nellie intercede for them to have miracles which are then assessed for their veracity and which may go towards Nellie's eventual canonization.

Comments

  1. Thankyou for the prayer for Little Nellie's Canonization. I just found out about her this past weekend through listening to another lecture and her name was mentioned, so I looked her up. This was like a miracle to me, because my grandmother was born in Cork Ireland and raised in a Convent Orphanage. She later left to come to Canada with her husband and 2 children and had another child in Canada who is my mother. In my adult years, I would feel my grandmother's presence at times and started listening to Irish music and praying to St Patrick on his Feast Day. I have written to a couple of people in Ireland to inquire about receiving a picture, booklet, prayer card for Little Nellie of Holy God. This would mean so much to me and bring me closer to Little Nellie and also my grandmother. Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thankyou and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miriam,

      Thank you so much for your comment. So good to hear your grandmother was born in Cork, and that you have developed a devotion to Little Nellie. I hope you get many favors through Little Nellie's intercession.

      Perhaps I may suggest you print out a picture of Little Nellie. My favorite is the photo I used to accompany this post https://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.com/2020/02/little-nellies-conversion-from-hot.html because the intensity of Nellie's expression really captures her bold spirit.

      I have a few suggestions for you. Perhaps you might like to make a DIY prayer card, with the prayer for Nellie's canonization and a picture of her next to the prayer?

      As regards a booklet on her life, perhaps you might like the audio-book of her life which is longer than a booklet but not terribly long and available on You-Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVSErHw8QQ

      I do not know if you are open to buying online but if you are, there is a prayer card to Little Nellie for sale on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/716609847/little-nellie-of-holy-god-holy-card?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ts1-e-art_and_collectibles-other&utm_custom1=a03d9bbb-0ad8-41c7-ab07-ed95ad69f9fe&utm_content=go_2063076125_76452840615_367965823134_pla-314954651973_c__716609847&utm_custom2=2063076125&gclid=CjwKCAjw9vn4BRBaEiwAh0muDAGOxYz-PpL1KdG-OGky3soySxWBOxF1hpZyb3o1QZZyMW3C0PqdOBoC03IQAvD_BwE

      God bless you, Miriam, Yours in Christ, Mary

      Delete
    2. God reward you for all the information you provided and your suggestion about the DIY prayer card too! I looked at Etsy - nice. I also found the Good Shepherd Convent Cemetery where one can leave a virtual flower & prayer for Little Nellie and this I did today. It was a blessing to find her this way and I am eternally grateful to God for this gift. Thankyou again, and God Bless!

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome, Miriam.

      May I ask about the lecture you listened to, where you first discovered Nellie?

      You may like this radio documentary on Nellie: http://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-marvelously-meritorious-documentary.html?m=1

      It is very powerful to pray for Nellie's intercession during your recitation of the Rosary.

      Delete
    4. A friend past a lecture to me from an Orthodox Priest/Monk who I believe had studied in London in his earlier years. Somehow his lecture came to a comment of Little Nellie and suffering, being little in God's eyes. It was a very brief comment and I made a note of her name especially when I heard she was from Cork Ireland. This is what made it unusual, that an Orthodox Monk would be mentioning her and the connection to Cork Ireland and my own grandmother. The Lord has His own ways of bringing us together and for His own purpose, in His own time. God bless!

      Delete
    5. Many thanks, Miriam, for letting me know. Yes, Little Nellie had much in common with your grandmother, that they were under the care of religious sisters in Cork.

      God bless you always

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts