My friend Tom Leopold to comedy writers: "Make sure you think it's funny"

Tom Leopold has given an interview to The Writer Magazine. Here is my favorite gem from the piece, "I want to speak as a comedy writer, If you want to touch people – using comedy writing as an example – make sure you think it’s funny." 

Tom warns against the trap of people pleasing where a writer writes, "what they think others might think is funny or what is funny at the moment."

There is a need for courageousness, as Tom says, "have the nerve to write the thing that absolutely drives you crazy, or you love, or you think is hysterical."

Speaking of the paramount importance of being specific, Tom advises, "the more specific you are in writing, the more general an audience can react to it".  Giving writers hope in being specific he says, "because none of us are so original that there won’t be a big swathe of people out there who agree."  You may read the whole interview here

Tom is a veteran comedy writer and has been in the business for 50 years.  I was watching Netflix one day and his name popped up in the credits of a Cheers episode. 



  



He regularly entertains the listeners of Sirius XM's Catholic Channel and guest stars on Lino Ruli's show. Here we are in Lino's apartment. Lino is a germophobe and Tom teases him on air about his penchant for keeping piles of Purell close at hand at all times. There was also a bottle of vodka in the apartment and we had a snifter. Vodka and purell smell so exactly alike, I have a hunch Lino might use vodka as a hand-sanitizer when the purell runs out. I fully expect Lino to correct me on this point.

One of the highlights of my life has becoming friends with Tom and his wife Barbara who is a master chef. It was an amazing turn of events in that Tom happened to be in London at the exact time I requested an interview which went down very well in English Catholic circles. Tom introduced me to Barbara and I introduced Tom and Barbara to my group of friends. When I have visited them in New York, they have introduced me to their friends. On the last occasion author John Carmichael met them and their daughter gorgeous Gus. 






Tom is now a Catholic comedy writer and brings the experience of five decades working in show biz to bear in comedy exploring the Faith. Having read one of Tom's scripts which is based on Catholic themes I believe Tom has a grand future writing Catholic comedy that will enrich Catholic culture and bring the Faith to many who would view a piece of comedy art for the sake of laughing their troubles away and imbibe Catholicism at the same time.

 
The Leopolds have made their mark. Leopold Street in Kent, England.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts