WOMEN DO NOT HAVE THE SAME BIOLOGICAL CLOCKS AS MEN, WHY IS IT GOOD FOR THEM TO DRESS AS MEN?



Nearly two years ago I held my last pair of shabby jeans over the bin, I took a deep breath and thrust them among the rubbish. This marked the moment that I became a full-time wearer of skirts and dresses. Trust me, no one could have been more surprised than me. For years I had been an obstinate wearer of jeans. Finally, after much prayer I have been edified as to why it is better to wear traditional feminine clothes and I followed a call to address my previous lack of charity in dress.

To be sure, in the past when I wore jeans I had been very confused. I had not been raised a Traditional Catholic and in my late teens and early 20s when I mixed with other Trads, there were a tiny few occasions when I was treated with hostility and even called the "s" word because I sometimes wore trousers. All this did was hurt me and I felt to do as they wished me to do was to agree with their rash assessment of me. Also, I felt I was caught between two worlds. When I was in liberal education settings and going to classes and taking my exams I was treated as odd and suspect if I wore skirts. There was even a time when a peer aided a rumour that I had been involved with a rather unsavory older man. The rumour was quashed quickly because unlike the girl who spread the lie, I had never met him and he didn’t even know my name. But what really stung was that others suggested to me that the scandal took hold because I had started wearing glamorous (albeit modest) dresses that attracted the attention of men. 

I felt I couldn’t win: In one setting I was shamed for wearing trousers and in another I was shamed for wearing dresses.

In my younger years I did not have good reasons to motivate my will towards wearing dresses, but now that I do, I’d like to share them. Skirts and dresses have an unsurpassed elegance. Even in our times, the choices of most women prove this is so. The vast majority of women wear dresses or skirt-and-bodice on their wedding days. Just ask an average woman who has been instructed that dresses and trousers are equally elegant if she will wear trousers on her wedding day and she will say no, because she wants to look her best.

The trouser suit is often mendaciously billed as being as elegant as dresses or skirts, but this suit makes women look like bus conductors. And if the average woman is asked if she would rather wear a trouser suit or a ball gown to a ball, then she will more than likely opt for the dress every time. When a woman is presented with the choice of what to wear at weddings, balls and formal dinners it does have the result of sharpening the mind as to which is the most elegant -- if she wears trousers in a setting where most other women are in dresses than she will be not be as well-dressed. But in a society where the majority of people always wear slacks, jeans and trousers, elegance becomes something of an oddity, making it harder for individual women to go against the herd.

But why do we relegate the modes of dress that make women look their best to special occasions? Why not bring beauty in dress back to everyday life? Why not promote the best forms of dress for women? My argument may seem superficial, but not when you consider that women have much less time in which to find a loving spouse, settle down and have children, and unlike men they have to make the most of their precious younger years, and for this alone, I advocate that we women start electing to make skirts and dresses the norm again, so that the form of dress that makes women more attractive becomes the standard. Women do not have the same biological clocks as men, why is it good for them to dress as men? This is why women have charity for other women when they wear skirts and dresses; they are helping to make the best forms of dress for women the usual forms of dress.

The feminists have long championed that women may wear whatever they want. But often feminists champion trousers because of their hatred for men; they wish for women to dress in less than beautiful ways as a means of begrudging men the sight of women at their most beautiful. There are women who are of this spiteful mindset, and there are women who are unconsciously begrudging men of beauty, but tragically they may unknowingly begrudge themselves of a husband who would otherwise be attracted to them.

Yet my argument also extends to women who are called to religious life, too, because in a society where most wear trousers all the time it means the sanctified elegance of the nun’s traditional habit seems almost freakish. I knew many Irish Catholics who were all for “Church reform,” but they were unnerved by the sight of nuns in jeans, and still they could not see that we all have a hand in creating a society where skirts and dresses become uncommon, and so why are we surprised when we have so few female religious, and those that are nuns chose trousers rather than embrace the attire of a bride of Christ?


In my heart, the reason I wear skirts all the time is that I wish to model the best form of dress for other women. It would be hypocritical for me to say I want the best for my fellow women and at the same time not play my part in making skirts and dresses customary.

I wrote this column for Mass of Ages, the magazine of the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales. You may read the entire Autumn edition here

Comments

  1. I love this! Thank you for writing it. I haven't worn skirts for years. I needed to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tara,

      Thank you for your kindness. It took a lot of strength to write this piece, and I'm glad it has inspired you.

      As an Irish gal I'm on the hunt for green dresses. As an Irish gal yourself you may like to wear a touch of green, too. I wondered why in my trouser-wearing days I did not wear more green, and it occurred to me that green dresses are infinitely better than say, green trousers or green jeans. Had I worn green leggings I would have looked like a pair of string beans. Emerald velvet dresses are the way to go.

      May you be richly blessed, Mary

      Delete
  2. Nothing worse than a nun dressed in slacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. And little else is in as much opposition to their visible vocation as Brides of Christ than to wear men's most casual clothes, not the garments of a bride.

      Delete
  3. I can't read your post because it is covered over by pics on the left side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria, I have taken away the gadget that displays posts and pics on the left side, let me know if you may read the post now.

      Delete
  4. It’s so hard to find flattering but casual and modest everyday dresses. Can you recommended any websites? I recently discovered MD Fashion but am in the hunt for others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tis very hard. Apologies, I don't have much experience of buying from many websites but I'll ask around my friends.

      Delete
    2. A consensus among me and my friends is that a thorough search on Amazon can yield a few good choices. Renee, I will offer a prayer for the intention that you find the right clothes for you.

      Delete
  5. A great blog, if you know French, is femmeapart.com. it shows lovely outfits for women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, changing over to more feminine clothing. I am making an effort to do the same.

    One minor motivation for me comes from the so called trans sexual. I see the lengths they will go to to present a feminine persona, and it shames me to think of how little regard I have had for my own true femininity

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that is is wrong to wear pants, but I agree that is truly way more femme to wear skirts and dresses. i don't always have that option, but I would like to wear more skirts and dresses, i always do on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not hold that it is outright wrong to wear "trousers" as they say in Great Britain, or "pants" as they say in the USA. But I judge that wearing skirts and dresses is more charitable and considerate of others.

      God bless you for wearing dresses on Sunday!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it inspires true chivalry and true gentlemanly-ness in guys!

      Delete
    3. How true! Love that you have mentioned that wearing dresses elicits a man's chivalrous instinct.

      And if more women wear dresses most of the time, it also helps make "normal" the mode of dress that is better for womankind.

      Delete
    4. Yes, it will become the new fad, or fashion, such as things like leggins, or other popular clothing is!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts