Aerosmith's Steven Tyler haunted by girlfriend's abortion

Long before he won accolades as an American Idol judge, Steven Tyler was a bona-fide rock star, with all that that implied. In 1975, when he was in his late 20s and the lead singer for the band Aerosmith, Tyler persuaded the parents of his 14-year-old girlfriend, Julia Holcomb, to make him her legal guardian so that they could live together in Boston.
When Miss Holcomb and Tyler conceived a child, his longtime friend Ray Tabano convinced Tyler that abortion was the only solution. In the Aerosmith “autobiography,” Walk This Way (in which recollections by all the band members, and their friends and lovers, were assembled by the author Stephen Davis), Tabano says: “So they had the abortion, and it really messed Steven up because it was a boy. He … saw the whole thing and it [messed] him up big time.”
Tyler also reflects on his abortion experience in the autobiography. “It was a big crisis. It’s a major thing when you’re growing something with a woman, but they convinced us that it would never work out and would ruin our lives. … You go to the doctor and they put the needle in her belly and they squeeze the stuff in and you watch. And it comes out dead. I was pretty devastated. In my mind, I’m going, Jesus, what have I done?”....
After the abortion, Tyler began a torrid affair with model Bebe Buell while still seeing Julia, the mother of his aborted son. If you were wondering what happened to Julia (who is referred to as Diana Hall in the book) after this purportedly psychologically safe procedure, Bebe tells us: “There were many suicidal calls from poor Diana as they were breaking up. It was actually a pretty sad time.”...
He went on a European concert tour, accompanied by Bebe, who tells us: “He was crazy … totally drunk, really out of it. … Steven destroyed his dressing room at Hammersmith … when we got back from Europe. … One night I found him on the floor of his bathroom having a drug seizure. He was writhing in pain.”....
Then Bebe Buell became pregnant with Tyler’s child. She realized it would be impossible to raise a child with him given his out-of-control substance abuse and rock-and-roll lifestyle. She returned to her former lover, the composer, producer, and recording artist Todd Rundgren, who agreed to act as father of the child and keep Tyler’s fatherhood a secret. Their daughter, who grew up to be the actress Liv Tyler, was born on July 1, 1977.
This story begs a very important question; did Bebe learn that the fallout from an abortion can be so grave, that she decided not to abort Liv?

Read the full story here
Twitch of the mantilla to Patrick Madrid where I first saw this article.

Comments

  1. Our child,was aborted,or killed,denied,if you will,in 73.We were wrong,and thankfully he has never revealed this.Only Joe,Elissa,and my family know.Such a waste and a shame.Steven and I had a great love that was destroyed along with that child.That is the real meaning of Sweet Emotion.Rage regret and violenceAgain,I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago my child,was aborted,I was not saved, I let a man pressure me into it. I was wrong,I never never revealed this but only to God After I got saved , and baptized over a year after .I Repented, I only wished I was raised in a loving home so I could of turned to my parents in my time of need, and only if I was raised in the right way, instead of my own mother trying to marry me off at 15 to get me out of her house...PLEASE IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND ARE IN THAT SITUATION GO TO A PRIEST!!! I had no one ..I thank God every day for his loving and I pray he forgave me for I am truly sorry for what I had done...I thank the Lord everyday that I turned to him or I would of killed myself, yes I was suicidal after words . THANK YOU JESUS FOR SAVING ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wisdom - to advise someone who may be reading this TO GO TO A PRIEST - inspired advice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts